Easter Candy for Grown-Ups: Peep-Stuffed Jello Shots
The Easter bunny is coming to you this year…by way of a Peep-stuffed jello shot!
Here’s the thing: I’m not a fan of dyeing eggs. In fact, I kinda hate it. I don’t like the smell of those PAAS kits. I did it for the first time two years ago when my kid was 2. Pure torture. I know — what kind of mother am I?
Well, I’m the kind of mother who makes jell-o-colored eggs shot up with booze for adults and mixed with juice for kids.
See the bottom half, the egg? I went and shot it up with some of Pinnacle’s Cotton Candy vodka. The Peep remains a virgin — although if you wanted to, you could certainly make some boozy Peeps, too. I had to skip the boozy Peep making since my now-5-year-old was anxious to get Easter started once he saw me messing around with the plastic eggs.
This is as close as I will get to artificially dyeing an egg for Easter — even if it’s a wannabe egg.
Easter Egg Jello Shots
Makes 12-15 Peeps Jelly Shots | Preparation: Spray inside of Easter egg cups (the plastic kind that the candy comes in) with bake spray and then wipe down with a paper towel.
- 2 6 oz. vanilla Yoplait yogurt
- 2 envelopes Knox Gelatin
- ¾ cup Pinnacle Cotton Candy Vodka
- ¼ cup water
- 12-15 Peeps
- Add two envelopes of Knox Gelatine to Pinnacle’s Cotton Candy and water. Set aside for about 2-4 minutes until gelatin blooms. Transfer mixture to a saucepan and heat until gelatin is dissolved.
- Add gelatine mixture into yogurt and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Divide yogurt mixture into four bowls and mix in food coloring until desired tint is achieved.
- Pour colors into eggs and insert a peep in the center. The Peeps may need a few pieces of wadded up paper towels stuffed between each peep or on the side egg the carton to keep them erect.
- Transfer fully assembled tray to the refrigerator to chill until set.
- Optional: Using a small star tip and pipe whipped cream on the egg’s edge.
1. Use the squat side of the egg.
2. To present the jelly shots standing upright, poke a cocktail toothpick through something like small foam board and place Easter Egg Jelly Shots right on top of toothpick.
3. To make these kid friendly, replace the vodka with white grape juice or another light-flavored and light-colored juice.