The Pumpkin Caramel Mousse is killer. It’s light and smooth in texture, full in flavor and only takes 15 minutes to make. For those of you who want to get in and get out of the kitchen, you can forgo the joconde cake and simply serve the mousse in ramekins or in Martini glasses for some kicked-up elegance. But if you’ve got the time, the cake makes it a full dessert.
A few notes:
- The recipe I used for the joconde cake and decorative paste is from The Professional Pastry Chef by Bo Friberg. For an online recipe resource click here.
- If you decide to make the joconde cake with the decorative decal, start with a silpat, not parchment paper. The small freeze time required for the decorative paste will cause the parchment paper to shrink and ripple and ultimately affect the shape of the finished cake.
Pumpkin Caramel Mousse Cake
Yields 16 2×3 inch cakes
1 teaspoon of unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons of cold water
1 ½ cup of heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup of pumpkin puree
1/3 cup of caramel sauce (homemade or store bought)
1/4 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of allspice
1. Sprinkle gelatin over cold water and set aside to bloom.
2. Place heavy whipping cream in a bowl fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat on high until soft peaks form (not stiff or you will have a granular texture), about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
3. Whisk together pumpkin puree and caramel sauce. Add vanilla extract, cinnamon and allspice to mixture and whisk to combine.
4. Heat softened gelatin in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Stir mixture until all the gelatin has dissolved. Add gelatin mixture into pumpkin mixture and stir to combine.
5. Using as few strokes as possible, gently fold whipped cream mixture into pumpkin mixture until combined.
Fit 1 ¾-inch joconde cake strips along the wall of 2×3 cake rings. Fill with Pumpkin Caramel Mousse to the top of the cake ring edge. Garnish with curled chocolates. Keep refrigerated up until 20 minutes before serving.
Check out more of Sweet Fiend’s dessert recipes at Bakers Royale.