Endless Ice Cream: Chocolate Chip Cannoli
From Sriracha chip to stroopwafel and and limburgse vlaai, Bostonite Chloe Jankowitz has been churning out innovative flavor after flavor, winter weather be damned. She was also kind enough to share one of her most delectable recipes with Endless Simmer.
Chocolate Chip Cannoli Ice Cream
(yields 1 quart)
2 cups whole milk
10 oz. ricotta cheese
1/2 cups + 2 tbl granulated sugar
3 egg yolks
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1. In a medium saucepan, heat whole milk, ricotta cheese and sugar over medium heat, stirring frequently until mixture starts to simmer. Make sure it doesn’t boil!
2. While the mixture is heating, whisk the egg yolks with the vanilla extract in a small bowl.
3. Once the milk and cream starts to simmer, take a tablespoon of the mixture and pour it in with the egg yolks to slowly warm them up. Stir quickly. Add a few more tablespoons, one at a time, stirring constantly.
4. Pour the heated egg yolks in with the milk and cream. Remove the saucepan from heat and stir for about 30 seconds.
5. Let the mixture cool for about 30 minutes. Put in a container with plastic wrap right over the custard. Place in the fridge to ripen, preferably for at least 8 hours (the longer the better!–I like to let mine ripen for two days if I can).
6. When the custard is ready, pour it into an ice cream maker. While the ice cream is churning (and looks about a few minutes from done), slowly toss in the chocolate chunks.
Find 99 more recipes on 100 Scoopsies.