“A Fungus Among Us” Flatbread
The wife and I live in a geographic location very famous for mushrooms. It has its pros and cons. We have grown used to the fresh smell of manure on any day at any time. However, we have also come accustomed to cheap-ass mushrooms that have great flavor. We are so spoiled. Or so we thought.
We heard a random knock on our door this weekend and I opened it to one of my wife’s former co-workers with a box full of shitake and oyster mushrooms. We thought we were mushroom snobs before with our $2.50 5 pound bags of white, portabella, and crimini mushrooms. But this took it to a new level. “Just let me know when you run out,” she says. Oh…we will. Clearly, you’ll be hearing more about mushrooms in the coming weeks. Tonight was an easy one – a quick yet sophisticated flatbread.
“A Fungus Among Us” Mushroom-Balsamic Flatbread
- Shitake and Oyster Mushrooms (any will do – but these do have great flavor w/the balsamic)
- Balsamic Glaze
- Flatbread (homemade or store bought)
- Julienned Red Onion (to your tasted and amount of flatbreads)
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Romano Cheese
- Roasted Garlic
Preheat oven to 375 or directed temp.
- Put freshly roasted garlic down on the flatbread (spread if you wish) and top with the onion
- Sprinkle fungus throughout the flatbread evenly.
- Sprinkled mozzarella and romano evenly on top
- Cook in the oven for 10 minutes or directed time
- Drizzle balsamic glaze on top like a damn pro
If you really like it crispy, pre-bake the flatbread before putting all the toppings on and then bake again. Goes well with a nice big glass of your favorite red wine. This meal is an EASY way to make a nice dinner after work in little time. One flatbread was actually pretty filling for me and I would definitely have it again. Reheats well for the next day’s lunch as well.
Warning: imagejpeg(/home/endless6/public_html/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/DSC_0173-268x250.jpg): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/endless6/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-image-editor.php on line 425