This Week at the Farmers Market: Savory Citrus Roasted Asparagus with Tofu
This tender spring veggie is celebrated in festivals across the country this time of year, but even if you can’t attend one of the many super exciting events honoring these green stalks, you can buy some really fresh right now at most farmers markets and have your own party. Asparagus is made up of vitamins E, A, and C, folate for a healthy heart and cell regeneration, and potassium, which can help lower blood pressure and cholesterol. Plus, fresh and locally grown asparagus just tastes way better than store-bought, although with the price of sand. Smart Tip: Genius neo-chef and farmer Dan Barber warns that you should blanch your farmers market asparagus before using to get it fully clean.
Just so happened my mom was having a vegan dinner party this weekend, so I offered up this dish — my tribute to the asparagus gods — and it was a hit.
Savory Citrus Roasted Asparagus with Tofu
Here’s what you need:
- 1 package firm tofu, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons red miso, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Pat tofu dry with paper towels, pressing down to blot out excess moisture, then cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Whisk 1 tablespoon miso, 1 tablespoon vinegar and 2 teaspoons oil in a large bowl until smooth. Add the tofu; gently toss to coat. Spread the tofu in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes. Gently toss asparagus with the tofu. Return to the oven and roast until the tofu is golden brown and the asparagus is tender, about 15-20 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1 tablespoon miso, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 2 teaspoons oil, basil, orange zest and juice, and salt in the large bowl until smooth. Toss the roasted tofu and asparagus with the sauce and serve.