The Bucket List
British food site Very Good Taste recently posted The Omnivore’s Hundred, their list of every food a good meat-and-grass eater really must try during their time on this planet. You’re supposed to bold everything you’ve already tried, and cross out anything you would never touch. My pride wouldn’t let me cross anything out, although I may one day live to regret that.
I got a 62 out of 100, so it looks like I have plenty left to live for, or at least 38 meals. How ’bout you guys? Post your scores and thoughts in the comments.
2. Nettle tea…Seriously? Why is it so great? Anyone?
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare…I am so embarrassed I still haven’t had this…pathetic
5. Crocodile Tried in South Africa…I know it’s cliche, but I swear, it tastes like chicken
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
10. Baba ghanoush Better than hummus? I’m not on board with that
13. PB&J sandwich Awww…thanks, Britain. But, come on, America makes better food than this. How about including a reuben instead?
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper Hmmm…this might go on the cross-out list for me, but I guess if you’re gonna challenge me…
27. Dulce de leche
30. Bagna cauda Woah! Sounds delicious. Sign me up.
31. Wasabi peas I really don’t love these
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi Wow. I am a big fan of mango lassis, but I did not know about the salted kind. Sounds pretty perfect though.
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar Unless you’re eating the cigar, I don’t see how this belongs on the list
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O Thank you, college
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects
44. Goat’s milk…Hmm, I guess I should try, huh? Considering how much I love goat’s cheese
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more Haha…not even close – I might break the $12 mark
47. Chicken tikka masala
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut...I’d replace this with the Luther Burger
50. Sea urchin Just tried at El Quinto Pino. I thought it was not worth the hype, but now I’m glad I ordered it!
51. Prickly pear
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal This list is starting to lose legitimacy for me
57. Dirty gin martini Don’t forget the pickletini!
58. Beer above 8% ABV
60. Carob chips Um…why?
62. Sweetbreads Another one I’m a little ashamed I can’t bold
63. Kaolin LOL…I won’t be sad if I never try this
64. Currywurst Hook it up! I’m getting a plane to Hamburg…looks like I might need that Kaolin-based digestive after all
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake Do I get four points for this?
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail OK, I’m going out for steak tartare, sweetbreads, and snail tomorrow, who’s coming with?
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini It’s excellent gay or straight
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant. I’ll take per se rezzies for my next bday, whoever is still reading
85. Kobe beef
88. Flowers Does lavender count?
90. Criollo chocolate
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa Interested…I love harissa – did not know there was a high-end version
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox Hellsyeah
97. Lobster Thermidor Woah – sounds like eggs benedict stuffed inside a lobster shell. Count me in.
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
Photo: Joe Shlabotnik