Brie My Valentine
I made this the other night with my valentine, Alex (newish development – of course the ES community gets first word on these things). Anyway, here’s the shocking part – she’s a vegetarian. Clearly I’m not happy about this, but none other than the New York Times says it’s possible for us to coexist, even though, and I quote – from the paper of record:
“Meat eaters smell bad and have low energy.”
Well I can’t argue with that, but I do know that portobello mushrooms might not be filet mignon, but they are just about the tastiest things I’ve ever had that aren’t served bloody.
Navigate that hurdle for more on the toaster oven portobello and brie sandwich.
– Set the toaster oven to broil.
– Snap the cap off the portobello and brush all sides with extra virgin.
– Place the ‘shroom bottom side up and sprinkle (or douse) with herbes de provence (which sound pretty damn fancy, but are really just rosemary, marjoram, basil, bay leaf and thyme, but in a French package).
– Also throw on some oregano, salt, pepper and a few drops of red wine vinegar.
– Broil for about 15 mins, until they turn soft, then remove from toaster oven, place on some kinda crusty roll, and top with a few slices of brie.
– Return the entire contraption to the toaster oven, and broil until the bread is toasty and the brie is a little melty.
– Drizzle a few drops of balsamic on top and serve.