Endless Peeps: Chocolate Mousse Marshmallow Cookie Bars
Peeps. I love Peeps. And I love that the Peeps peeps are creating the sugar-coated marshmallow treats for just about every holiday. I even got a mint-flavored, Christmas tree shaped, chocolate covered peep in my stocking this year. So, you could imagine my excitement when I received a box of a variety of Peeps products at my door. The varieties ranged from vanilla creme hearts, raspberry and strawberry chocolate covered Peeps, strawberry creme Peeps, heartshappd marshmallow Peeps, even chocolate-dipped Peeps.
We loved the Peanut Butter Comfort Six Layer S’mores Bars so much that we decided to create a variation involving peeps…and maybe brownies. After debating chocolate chip vs. sugar cookie dough, we decided to go with a base of a sugar cookie. The result was something between a shortbread and graham cracker crust (maybe because there are whole graham crackers in the middle). Unfortunately, one tube of cookie dough was not enough, so we smothered the rest of the concoction with brownie batter. Between the cookie dough and brownie batter is whole graham crackers, chocolate mousse peeps, and chocolate chips.
Interestingly enough, the peeps kind of spread into every crevice available—even downward into the cookie dough. Every bite has a different texture. Sometimes the crunchiness of the graham cracker comes through, other times the chocolatey brownie and chocolate chips, and other times the gooey-ness of the marshmallow takes over. However, the flavor of the chocolate mousse is quite the complement to the overall taste. One thing I would change? More Peeps!
Chocolate Mousse Marshmallow Cookie Bars
Preheat oven to 325 degrees, use 9×9 baking pan lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray.
- Sugar cookie batter (about 12.5 oz)
- Brownie batter (in the amount of one box)
- Half a bag of chocolate chips
- Four graham crackers
- TWO packages of chocolate mousse Peeps
1) Roll out the sugar cookie dough (about3/4 of the package) and place on bottom of the pan, spreading to the corners.
2) Place graham crackers on top of the sugar cookie dough, covering the dough.
3) Cover the graham crackers with the chocolate chips.
4) Squish the Peeps and place on top of chocolate chips.
5) Roll out the sugar cookie dough as thin as possible and place over the peeps.
6) Pour brownie batter over the mixture and spread so that it is completely covered.
7) Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Check at 40 and if the batter is still wet—continue in the oven for increments of five minutes.