Cheflebrity Smörgåsbord: On the Wings of Love
I’m not a complicated man. I’ve discussed many of my food weaknesses here on the site. For the most part, they’ve been very specific…a particular dish from a particular restaurant or a traditional recipe made in an exact way. But there is a more generic food item that gets me salivating like Pavlov’s Pup as soon as I hear the words.
Dangle the possibility of deep fried chicken wings tossed in hot sauce (side of blue cheese dressing, please), and I’ll pretty much travel to the ends of the earth. Funny…the one place I don’t travel is the owl-mascotted restaurant chain that’s located less than a mile from my house, because Mrs. TVFF doesn’t look kindly on that establishment. Anywhere else buffalo wings appear is a place I’m going.
So when my Twitter reader started BINGing with a tweet from the local bar McGillin’s Olde Ale House — plenty of atmosphere, good food and great local microbrews — mentioning a special offer of $.25 wings, I knew what I’d be doing that evening. McGillin’s may be the oldest continuously operating tavern in Philly (since 1860), but they’re au courant with a Twitter account. Wings, twitter – you got my number, McGillin’s.
OK, enough e-drool. On to the smörg…
– What does James Bond taste like? Sweat, Bombay Sapphire and Brut. Yes, a Daniel Craig popsicle.
– Mario Batali and Anthony Bourdain, out on the town…eating and boozing it up. Just add a camera crew and you’re instantly the producer of the best food reality show in history. In this episode, “yak penis.”
– Gordon Ramsay’s business isn’t doing so hot. Feel sorry for him yet? Don’t. He can still buy and sell you a hundred times over.
– A press release from the folks at Top Chef make official the worst-kept secret in the biz — that the new season will take place in Las Vegas. Also in the release: Tom will be bald, Padma will mumble and fauxhawks will actually be mandatory this year.
– And speaking of Top Chef, this news is a little old, but we couldn’t pass up an opportunity to mention Spike Mendelsohn’s bad day.
(Photo: rachel is coconut&lime)