Endless Poptails: Red Velvet Dark and Stormy Popsicle
I realize I’m late to the ginger beer scene, but hey — I made it. Now that I’m here, I’m bringing some ginger beer poptails with me. Think dark and stormy cocktail pushed up against the sweetness of apricot syrup.
Along with that, I also brought something else I just discovered: red velvet apricots. Intriguing, huh? They are, but not as much as the name might suggest. It’s a basic apricot, wrapped in a deep purple skin, smaller and more concentrated in flavor. But to be fair, I guess I was expecting another layer of flavor, another level of fruity mystic — something other than a punched up flavor of its traditional orange-hued cousin.
The upside of that is if you can’t find the red velvet apricots the regular ones will do just fine for these dark and stormy poptails.
Red Velvet Dark and Stormy Poptail
- 18 oz black velvet apricots, seeded and peeled (about 8 2 ½ inch size apricots)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh squeezed lime
- 4 oz dark rum
- 8 oz ginger beer
- Place black velvet apricots, lime juice and rum in a a blender and puree until well blended. Add ginger beer to mixture and pulse 2-3 times or until blended. Pour mixture into popsicle wells.
- Cover top of popsicle form with foil and cut a tiny hole in the center of each well. Place popsicle stick through the hole.
- Place in freezer until frozen. To release popsicles, run hot water over outside of mold for 2-3 seconds.
Wow, these look super delicious! Such a yummy dessert!
without googling, i have to ask, where does the “dark and stormy” come in? that has something to do with ginger beer? my brain doesn’t equate ginger and apricots with dark and stormy.
@erica A dark and stormy is a drink made by mixing ginger beer with rum. I have no idea why it’s called that though.
Did you use black velvet or red velvet apricots? The preamble says red velvet, but the recipe itself lists black velvet. These look delicious, by the way, and I’m planning on trying the strawberry peach vodka Collins popsicles as soon as I go buy some vodka.
Love, love the Idea of the Popsicle, I have a pineapple and strawberries so I’ll give them a try today.
Thank you this is great!!!