Extreme Brownies: Cookie Dough Cheesecake Brownie Pastry Pockets
Have you seen this new trend in which describing something as “to die for” is no longer good enough? I keep seeing these recipes named “Better Than Sex Cake, Sex in a Pan, etc…” Really? I’m pretty sure sex outside of a pan is still better.
But I get it. It’s a quick hook to get you to look a little closer. And if there’s one recipe that I’m going to describe that way, it’s definitely this one. Now that we’ve established that, do lean in close and take a look at this sexified brownie creation. Inside that pastry pocket is a cookie dough cheesecake brownie bar — yes, It’s a mouthful. This mouthful is an extreme brownie with a sweet and salty combination that finishes with a dusting of confectioner’s sugar and some chocolate and caramel drizzle — how’s that for a happy ending?
So in playing along with the current sex and food trend, I give you the Brownie Sex Maker. This will make you and the person you share with it want to do anything…for reals.
Cookie Dough Cheesecake Brownie Pastry Pockets…a.ka. The Brownie Sex Maker
Makes one 8×8 pan | Preparation: Create a foil sling by lining the pan with foil so that there is a one inch overhang on each side. Cover foil with bake spray. (Don’t be like me and forget to sling your pan for easy removal!)
Chocolate chip cookie dough
– ½ of 1 package Nestle Toll House pre-made cookie dough
•8oz. cream cheese, room temperature
•1/3 cup sugar
•1 teaspoon vanilla
Brownie (adapted from Alice Medrich)
•8 tablespoons unsalted butter
•4oz. unsweetened chocolate
•1 ¼ cups sugar
•1 teaspoon vanilla extract
•¼ teaspoon salt
•2 large eggs
•½ cup all-purpose flour
1 package of ready made pastry dough
1 egg, lightly beaten
Cookie dough preparation
1.Crumble half of cookie dough mixture.
To make cheesecake
1. Place all ingredients in a bowl and beat until well blended. Set aside.
To make brownie
1.Place butter and chocolate in a double boiler or a bowl over simmering water. Stir frequently until mixture is melted. Remove chocolate mixture from heat and stir in sugar, vanilla and salt. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring until each is incorporated before adding the next. Stir in flour and beat with a wooden spoon until mixture is glossy about 1 minute.
Pastry dough preparation
1. Thaw pastry dough according to package.
2. Create an egg wash by placing egg in a bowl and lightly beating.
1.Pour 3/4 of brownie mixture into pan. Layer cheesecake mixture on top. Sprinkle crumbled cookie dough on top of cheesecake layer. Pour remaining brownie mixture on top. Use a skewer or a fork and drag it through the brownie and cheesecake mixture to create a swirled top.
2.Bake for about 30-40 minutes at 400 degrees F. (Brownie will will be fudgy and cheesecake layer will be creamy). Remove pan from oven and immediately place it in an ice bath for twenty minutes. Remove pan from ice bath and transfer it to the refrigerator to cool and chill for at least 3 hours. Remove pan from refrigerator and cut into bars. Place bars in freezer to freeze overnight. Make sure to place parchment between each bar, so they do not freeze to one another.
3. Remove from freezer and wrap each brownie bar with pastry dough. Brush seams with egg wash and seal. Place seam-side down onto parchment lined bake sheet. Brush remaining pastry covered brownie bar with egg wash (egg wash is needed to brown pastry dough). Bake at 400 degrees for 12-14 minutes or until pastry dough turns golden brown. Remove from oven and place extreme brownies on a wire rack to cool.
4. Optional: Dust tops of extreme brownie with confectioner sugar and drizzle with melted chocolate and caramel.
- You can skip the pastry dough and just opt to make this as Cookie Dough Cheesecake Brownie Bars.
- Freezing the bars prior to baking them in pastry dough is necessary to keep the bars from being overcooked and dried out.
By pastry dough, do you mean phyllo pastry dough?
I took it to mean puff pastry dough.
Anne M – Yes, that’s puff pastry.
These look yummy! How big did you cut your bars and the puff pastry?
recipe/instructions will not download! Help
How big do you cut the brownie bars and how much puff pastry?