Cheflebrity Smörgåsbord: A Dingo Ate My Soufflé
Food movies can be a dicey proposition. Sure, we were able to find plenty of great food movie scenes, but the truth of the matter is that there are plenty of bad food-centric movies out there. Does anybody remember Simply Irresistable? Yeah, that’s what I mean.
But I’m pretty sure that I’m going to like Julie & Julia. Why? For starters, it’s about Julia Child, who is scheduled to be canonized by the Pope any day now. Second, it stars Meryl Streep, and she’s doing an accent. I smell Oscar. And finally, I’m certain that I’ll love it because — as the trailer points out — it’s about a blogger! Once J&J takes off like gangbusters, it’s only a matter of time before Endless Simmer: The Movie. What will it be about? Who knows, but I guarantee strong language, needless violence and gratuitous nudity. Lots and lots of nudity.
Which leads me to my first point in the smörg…
– Padma Lakshmi showed up at the White House Correspondents Dinner in DC wearing a see-through dress. Really, Padma? Can’t you just cry out for attention with an overdose like every other celebrity? Photos NSFW, obviously.
– Two of our favorite food competition show runners-up, Kelsey Nixon of Next Food Network Star and Spike Mendelsohn of Top Chef, are starring in a new video series for Food2.com, the new site from the Food Network folks that features all kinds of original content and social media integration.
After the jump…a less-than-rare celebrity fashion sighting, two pretty boys team up to make America skinnier and the world’s greatest chef sends out for a slice.
– TMZ catches Mario riding a moped and wearing orange Crocs. Wake me up when he’s actually photographed without his official uniform.
– Jamie Oliver is apparently done saving England from itself, so he’s crossing the pond to save us one city at a time. Are you shocked to learn there’s a reality show co-produced by Ryan Seacrest involved? You’ll watch, but you won’t feel good about it, likely resulting in you eating a big tub of ice cream. Irony!
– Molecular Gastro-star Ferran Adrià, the genius behind El Bulli restaurant in Spain, is looking into opening a pizzeria. Be sure to order yours with extra agar agar.
Psst. Julie is actually on Facebook. I know she’s a fellow blogger, but seeing as she’s got the whole book AND movie deal, it feels surreal when she comments on my status or responds to my comment on her status. Yes I get fangirl flustery easily… leave me alone.
Really can’t decide about this movie. It looks like it might be too chick flick-y, but still, it’s JC!