Cocktail O’Clock: Serious Mulled Wine
It’s about that time of year when we start heating our wine, and cocktails suddenly feel less sinful, more warm and comforting. Well, this tea and wine concoction still packs plenty of punch, amping up your mulled wine with vodka and port. Plus, you get to light things on fire.
Moonlight by the Fire: Mulled Spiced Wine
**Created by Anna Wasserman-Hartman
16 (1 box) Numi Orange Spice tea bags
1 bottle (750ml) red wine
1 bottle (750ml) port
1 bottle (750ml) vodka
2 oranges quartered
8.75 oz. natural sugar cubes
1. Squeeze orange quarters and drop them into a large pot along with all tea bags.
2. Pour all red wine and port wine into pot and simmer for 1 hour.
3. Turn temperature to high and add vodka. Put sugar cubes into a metal sieve.
4. Light liquid on fire and slowly dip metal sieve into and out of liquid (Sugar should catch on fire, begin to caramelize and drip into the liquid) Safety Note: Do not use exhaust fan and keep lid nearby and use if flame becomes too high. After sugar has dissolved, remove sieve, put lid on and turn off heat.)
5. Allow to cool and then remove contents by straining into another pot
6. Serve warm in little espresso/tea cups. Can be re-bottled and used at a later date.