Summer is here with all its mighty heat, and we are doing more than just cranking up the AC to stay cool. We are stripping down to the flesh and getting dirtied-up with some rum. Yes, we are totally talking fruit and Poptailing here.
If you’ve been with us from the start of this Poptail series, you know we are taking classic drinks and getting a bit topsy-turvy with them. Along with that we’ve tried to avoid expensive ingredients and stuck to the basics for the alcohol portions so you don’t have to choose between a Saturday night date and your boozy Poptail.
This week we’re claiming the daiquiri for some freezer fun. We’re ditching the cocktail umbrellas and pitching the curvy bottom glass. These daiquiris are getting a shake up and cool down in a popsicle mold.
Cantaloupe and Kiwi Daiquiri Popsicles
Makes eight 2-and-1/4-oz. popsicles
· 1 ½ cup pureed cantaloupe (6oz, approximately half a normal size cantaloupe)
· ½ cup pureed kiwi (4 ½ oz, approximately 2 normal size kiwis)
· ¾ cup limeade
· ½ cup of light rum
· 4 tablespoons simple syrup
1. Place cantaloupe and kiwi in a food processor or blender and process or blend until pureed, about 1-2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and process or blend until fully combined.
2. Pour mixture into popsicle forms and freeze for about 2 hours or until mixture starts to solidify enough to hold a popsicle stick upright. Insert popsicle sticks and finish freezing popsicles overnight. To release popsicles run hot water on the outside of popsicle molds for a 2-3 seconds.
*Note: To make this non-alcoholic, simply replace the rum portion with limeade.