Cheflebrity Smörgåsbord: A Situation at the Bar
The latest and greatest news about celebrity chefs, served up buffet style.
– Slightly hoppy with a strong finish of meathead: Iron Hill, a brewpub in Maple Shade, New Jersey, is celebrating everyone’s favorite Jersey Shore guido with a namesake beer.
– Ferran Adria, the chef that other chefs want to be when they grow up, is shutting his world-renowned El Bulli down for two years. Funny…if a genius closes his business for two years, he’s regarded as quirky or enigmatic. If you or I did it, people would think we’re bat-shit crazy.
After the jump…we learn that it’s important to sound out possible restaurant names before committing to one, that former competitors can pull together for a good cause and that all food writers will be the subject of a movie at some point.
– Top Chef’s Ilan Hall opened a restaurant in Los Angeles called “The Gorbals.” Note to self: if/when you open a restaurant, try to come up with a name that doesn’t sound like a war criminal.
– Speaking of TS, some former cheftestants — including Haiti-born Ron Duprat — are doing their part to raise money for earthquake victims.
– I know that Julie & Julia made oodles of cash, but do we really need a Ruth Reichl movie?